What is the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) all about?
Asia’s biggest literary festival, popularly known Jaipur Literature Festival, is an annual literary festival taking place in city of Jaipur since 2006. It serves host to world’s most famous writers, speakers and artists including the likes of Jhumpa Lahiri, William Dalrymple, Javed Akhtar, Amartya Sen. Both Indian authors as well as those from abroad appear at the Festival. The sessions consist of readings, panel discussions, and Q&A sessions. In recent years, the festival has turned into quite a fashionable occasion, and attracts people from around the world in huge number.
This year, the festival will have numerous themes running through the various sessions on all the five days. The main theme for the year 2015 is the Seven Deadly Sins. The authors will be discussing works related to this topic. There will be strong emphasis on the literature of Southeast Asia and poetry. Other themes include the meltdown in the Middle East and Af-Pak, memoir writing, spies, natural history and the life cycle of the humble honey bee, historical fiction, cricket writing, politics, alternative sexualities and pirates.
It generally takes place in the month of January every year. In 2015, it is being held from January 21st – 25th.
The festival is held at the Diggi Palace hotel (a haveli that belongs to the Thakurs of Diggi) located in Ashok Nagar, which is around 10 minutes’ walk from the Old City of Jaipur.
Who Will Be Attending the 2015 Jaipur Literature Festival
This year the festival will see big names in this field like Nobel Laureate Sir. V. S. Naipaul, 2013 Man Book Prize Winner Eleanor Catton, acclaimed novelist Hanif Kureishi and celebrated American travel writer Paul Theroux take centre-stage. You will also get a chance to see some of India’s leading authors, including current Man Booker Prize nominee Neel Mukherjee, prominent Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh, best-selling novelist Amish Tripathi and celebrated author and translator Arshia Sattar, as well as internationally loved German children’s author Cornelia Funke.
What’s in it for you?
- Get a chance to attend discussion and debates on wide ranging topics with top notch panellists from around the world
- Be part of a unique exchange of culture and ideas with people coming together from different backgrounds and walks of life
- Get a once in a lifetime chance to talk face to face with your favourite authors and novelists and discuss their famous works
- Enjoy absolutely stunning social meets during the evening with popular artists and musicians belonging to different genres, coming together and performing live, much to the pleasure of delegates and participants
- Enjoy some absolutely mouth watering Rajasthani delicacies and of course the crowd favourite Kulhad Chai straight from the mystic land of Pushkar, Rajasthan!
The Jaipur Literature Festival is regarded as a cultural catalyst in India and around the world. For five days in January every year, Jaipur becomes the focal point of cultural exchange where we witness delegate participation from across the world. Le Pension attempts to further accentuate this experience by offering our customers some unique in house facilities along with the chance to interact with many people from different walks of life, share their experiences, and also develop a lifelong bond of friendship. Our vibrant dorms, energetic backpackers, and the helpful staff help bring the spirit of the festival alive and make your stay a memorable one.
Get more information about JLF 2015 at – http://jaipurliteraturefestival.org/